Wellness has been a reoccurring topic lately, especially among millennials. It has been said that millennials spend the most money on wellness, but do you really have an understanding of what it is? What are you truly spending your time and money on when it comes to wellness?
When you think of wellness, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Maybe it’s yoga, meditation, exercising, massages or the like. Media portrays wellness with a lack of diversity, with minimal to no women of color. Then there's social media with depictions of women in the hardest yoga poses, sharing their super meditation regimen, exercising daily and eating the most "perfectly" plated meals — the list goes on. It can get intimidating and make you feel like you can’t commit to any of that or your own wellness goals. Even though you know that it is probably the highlight reel, it all may still feel a bit unreachable for you.
I am here to inform you that wellness is whatever you need it to be. Wellness, as defined by dictionary.com, is "the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort." Wellness is not perfect; it has its ebbs and flows, and this is something that you should always remember. No two women have the same wellness practice or way of living. Wellness should always be tailored to what you, your body and your being need at the moment.
Here are some ways you can adopt your own rules for your wellness:
- Grab a journal or the notes section of your phone
- Think: What activities bring you joy?
- Think: What are you interested in exploring in wellness?
- Write out all that comes to mind, no matter how far fetched it may seem.
- Choose three you think you can start within the next 21 to 30 days
- Plan out the simplest way to test them out in your daily life
- Action: Put them down on your calendar and try them out
- Journal what felt good and what didn’t work
- Modify as you go along!
Most of all, remember: Wellness is exactly what you desire it to be.
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.