Who loves freshly exfoliated skin? Hint: this girl. While I’m not a fan of dry, itchy skin, I have found that almost all exfoliators are a little too harsh and make my sensitive skin react badly. But, amid this dry, frigid weather, desperate times call for drastic measures, ladies. Rather than buying an off-the-shelf exfoliator from your favorite retailer, why not whip up your own scrub?
I like to whip up my coffee scrub to tackle dry skin because it is chock full of goodies that help cure my skincare problems, like scars and cellulite.
Coffee is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants to help heal irritated skin. Unlike a lot of other scrubs, coffee grounds are ever so slightly abrasive (perfect for gently tackling dead skin), and used coffee grounds are mild enough to handle all over the body — even on sensitive areas like our face.
But, that is not its only benefit. Coffee scrubs also aid in stimulating blood flow and promote collagen production to encourage healing and fade acne scars.
If you have sensitive skin like me, grind your coffee into a soft, powder-like consistency to prevent further irritation. Otherwise, opt for a coarse grind to help get rid of even the roughest skin.
Try this DIY Coffee Scrub recipe, courtesy of Taste of Home.
Photo: Taste of Home
• 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee (Dry grounds can work too)
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: Choose small properties, as the coarse kind can be too harsh for sensitive or delicate skin.
1. Mix 1/2 cup fresh ground coffee and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
2. Combine 1/2 cup coconut oil into the coffee mixture and 1 tsp. Vanilla extract.
3. Mix until well combined.
4. Gently scrub the blend over your body (avoiding the eye) and leave it on for several minutes.
5. Rinse fully. (Be careful to clear out the tub if using the scrub in the shower, as the oil can make the floor a bit slippery.)
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.