Let's be real, ladies... who doesn't dream of long hair that can be styled in a ponytail, a bun, or in your favorite protective styles? However, considering our lifestyles, our long hair goals can often seem unachievable. That is unless you have a natural growth-boosting remedy in your arsenal sis.
Castor oil, properties of Malaysian castor bean Ricinus communis, is well-known for its fantastic health benefits and has been used for centuries across industries because of its benefits. Most of its nutritional content is made up of ricinoleic acid, omega-6 and nine fatty acids, vitamin E, and minerals, according to Healthline.
Now it might seem obvious where I am going with this, but long, beautiful hair starts with a healthy scalp, sis. Research has shown that hair grows about half an inch a month. And while eating healthy fats, popping vitamins and massaging your scalp can make hair grow a bit faster, I've recently become a fan of using castor oil for hair growth as an all-around solution.
In addition to all it's antibacterial and anti-fungal benefits, it also aids in treating scalp infections and dandruff. While applying directly to the scalp, it helps hair grow faster, and using it to the middle and ends of your locks strengthens the follicles themselves. Thus, preventing breakage and taming split ends.
The key to using castor oil is remembering that a little goes a long way.
You don't need to drench strands in oil (and then ultimately struggle and pull at your hair to clean it out. Like a lot of things in life, less is always more. You can always mix it up and add in any oils that suit you best, but remember castor oil should be the main ingredient!
Here is a recipe to try, courtesy of StyleCraze.
Castor Oil And Coconut Oil Mix For Hair
You'll want to try this one because coconut oil has antibacterial properties that keep scalp infections at bay and promote hair regrowth.
- 2 tablespoons castor oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (liquid)
1. Blend the castor oil and coconut oil in a bowl and apply the mix gently to your dry hair.
2. Massage into your scalp for at least five minutes.
3. Spread the mixture evenly and thoroughly into your hair and put on your favorite shower cap or wrap in a warm towel.
4. Keep the hair mask on for at least two hours before washing it out. You can also leave it on overnight if you want to get the full benefits. Follow this treatment twice a week for two to three months to regain hair at a faster pace.
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.