There is no one way to “do” life. However, there are tips and tricks for tackling everyday tasks and chores that make the “doing of life” a lot easier. These tips are called life hacks and were made popular through social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok.
Almost anything can be made simpler with the right life hack. This includes cleaning, cooking, working, maintaining relationships, parenting and more. Now, these tips are not necessarily revolutionary. In fact, more often than not they are quite simple. Which is precisely why they are a hack. These minor changes, which anyone can make, may be the key to transforming your lifestyle to be more effective and, most importantly, less headache-inducing.
Here are 101 life hacks to help your day run a lot smoother.
Life Hacks for Organization and Travel
- Organize your closet by clothing type and color for easy access.
- Set up a mail sorting system separated between bills, important documents, and junk mail.
- Use clear nail polish to reinforce thread ends on buttons.
- Keep a list of measurements for clothing and furniture when shopping.
- Hang scarves using shower curtain rings for easy access.
- Create a go-to emergency contact list in your phone for quick access.
- Extend the life of your razor blades by storing them in baby oil.
- Hang your handbag on a doorknob to keep it off the floor.
- Keep a reusable shopping bag in your car for groceries and impromptu shopping.
- Write key dates and reminders on a sticky note and attach it to your phone.
- Use a carabiner on your keychain to carry multiple bags at once.
- Place a ribbon on your luggage handle for easy identification while traveling.
- Use a pill container to organize small jewelry pieces when traveling.
Life Hacks for Managing Clothing and Accessories
- Prevent earrings from getting tangled by attaching them to buttons.
- Create a capsule wardrobe for versatile and stress-free outfit choices.
- Store delicate bras in a lingerie bag to protect them in the washing machine.
- Hang necklaces through drinking straws to prevent tangling.
- Cut open lotion bottles to ensure you get every drop.
- Put your jeans in a plastic bag and place them in the freezer overnight to eliminate odors without washing them.
- Keep a designated charging station for all your electronic devices.
- Use binder clips to organize cables and prevent them from tangling.
- Use a rubber band to provide extra grip for opening stubborn jar lids.
- Label keys with nail polish for easy identification.
- Use a carabiner on your grocery cart to hang bags and keep them secure.
- Attach a magnet to the inside of your medicine cabinet to store bobby pins.
- Use a carabiner to hold your water bottle to a backpack while hiking.
Life Hacks All About Household and Cleaning
- Make DIY cleaning products using vinegar, baking soda and essential oils.
- Prevent shoes from squeaking by sprinkling baby powder inside.
- Put silicone cupcake liners under your drinks to prevent condensation rings.
- Tuck a dryer sheet in your pillowcase for a fresh scent while you sleep.
- Use a shower cap to cover your shoes in a suitcase to keep clothes clean.
- Wrap rubber bands around your shampoo and conditioner to prevent leaks.
- Use a tennis ball to remove scuff marks from floors by rubbing it gently on the marks.
- Place an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb odors, and sprinkle it on carpets before vacuuming to freshen them up.
- Utilize the space under your bed for storage by using under-bed storage containers or bins.
Life Hacks for Essential Everyday Living
- Keep a list of passwords and important information in a secure place.
- Keep a list of things that make you laugh for a quick mood boost.
- Dry nail polish faster by dipping your nails in ice water.
- Set out your clothes and prepare breakfast the night before to save time in the morning.
- Use to-do lists and time blocking to organize your tasks.
- Schedule regular breaks from screens (phones, computers, TVs) to reduce eye strain and improve your focus.
- Follow the two minute rule that states if a task will take less than two minutes to complete, do it immediately.
- Set up automatic bill reminders to ensure you never miss a due date.
- If you struggle to find time for long workouts, try short, intense bursts of exercise.
- Incorporate mindfulness and meditation into your daily routine.
Life Hacks for Cooking and Storing Food
- Label spices with their expiration dates to keep your kitchen organized.
- Put a small bowl in your microwave when heating food to prevent spills
- Hang a cork board inside your kitchen cabinet doors to keep track of recipes.
- Plan your meals for the week ahead.
- Invest in a vacuum sealer to extend the freshness of foods like meat and vegetables.
- Freeze soups, sauces and stocks in individual portion sizes for quick and easy meal prep.
- Use Mason jars for storing everything from salads to smoothies.
- Clean and reuse baby food jars for storing small quantities of spices, nuts or homemade dressings.
- Use glass containers for food storage instead of plastic as they are more durable, don’t stain, and are microwave-safe.
- Wrap cheese in parchment paper before placing it in a plastic bag or container to prevent the cheese from sticking to the plastic and to preserve its flavor.
Life Hacks To Save Money on Home Improvements
- Always double-check your measurements before cutting or drilling to avoid costly mistakes.
- A fresh coat of paint on your front door can instantly improve your home’s curb appeal.
- Remove sticker residue with heat from a hairdryer.
- Put a rubber band on paint cans to wipe off excess paint from brushes.
- Use a plunger with a good seal to unclog sinks.
- Use an outlet tester to check for proper wiring before attempting electrical work.
- Fill in scratches or dents in wooden furniture with wood filler, then sand and repaint or refinish.
- Use a magnetic wristband to keep track of screws and nails while working on projects.
- Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle for an effective carpet stain remover.
- Use a grout renewal pen to freshen up tile grout.
Life Hacks for Climbing the Career Ladder
- Maintain a professional online presence.
- Leverage alumni networks for connections and opportunities.
- Attend industry events and conferences regularly.
- Set clear long-term career goals.
- Invest in continual learning and skill development.
- Customize your resume and cover letter for each job application.
- Utilize job search sites like LinkedIn for job searches and networking.
- Prepare thoroughly for job interviews, including researching the company.
- Set up Google Alerts to stay informed about industry news.
- Develop a strong elevator pitch to introduce yourself effectively.
- Build a professional portfolio showcasing your work.
- Learn to bounce back from setbacks and failures.
- Maintain a healthy work-life balance to prevent burnout.
- Don’t shy away from feedback.
- Find a mentor in your field who can offer guidance, advice and support as you navigate your career path.
Life Hacks for Maintaining Healthy Relationships
- Practice active listening.
- Check in with your partner daily.
- Learn your partner’s love language and act on it.
- Don’t go to bed angry; resolve conflicts promptly.
- Block or mute negative influences on social media.
- Unfollow your ex-partner(s) for emotional well-being.
- Write love notes or leave surprise messages for your significant other.
- Set technology-free zones during quality time.
- Share a favorite hobby or activity to bond over.
- Create a relationship vision board together.
- Prioritize self-care to bring your best self to the relationship.
- Embrace spontaneity and surprise dates.
- Focus on shared goals and support each other’s dreams.
Life Hacks for the Hardest Job Out There: Parenting
- Establish a daily routine for your child.
- Hang a clear shoe organizer on the back of your child’s bedroom or closet door to store small toys, art supplies or baby essentials.
- Create a designated area near the entrance for shoes, backpacks and jackets.
- Use visual schedules or charts to help your child understand and follow daily routines.
- Turn cleanup into a fun game by making it into a “treasure hunt.”
- Use oversized old shirts as DIY art smocks to protect your child’s clothing during messy art and craft projects.
- Use baby wipes for everything from cleaning sticky hands, to wiping surfaces and disinfecting in a pinch.
- Play your child’s favorite song while they brush their teeth to make the process more enjoyable for them and ensure they brush for the recommended time.