Having skin problems is not fun. Many women, men, and children across all cultures, experience skin problems. Skin problems can be a result of:
- DNA make-up
- Hormonal changes (puberty, menopause)
- Certain medications
It can become emotionally overwhelming to look in the mirror daily and find that your trouble skin is staring you right in the face. The worst comes when you may have tried so many [what you thought were] skincare solutions only to find that you keep staring at that same skin, on that same face. Some things people tend to try often include, over-the-counter skin creams, foams, soaps, masks, and other items. Although when it comes to skincare, or any bodily care, it is important to understand that it is never a one-size-fits-all solution. Using the same techniques as another person and getting disappointed will continue to happen until you decide to take control of your own skincare.
A Means to an End
Creating a sound routine for any part of life can be time-consuming, however, it is attainable. It is very rewarding when you grab hold of your problems, own them, and come up with solutions.
- Focus on the problem you want to solve
- Create steps to solving the problem (seeking suggestions included)
- Incorporate the solution
A skincare routine can be best formulated if you know the type of skin you have and how it functions. What does that mean, you say? Well, think about it.
- When you take a walk, run, or jog, do you sweat? On your face, or all over?
- When you sweat, what does your skin feel like?
- Is it wet and slippery, is it wet or clammy?
- Does your skin hold dirt–leaving you to wonder if it is dirty or not?
- When there is no activity, perhaps during a movie, or bedtime, how does your skin tend to feel?
So, you know your skin type? The next thing is to find what ingredients will help balance your skin. Always keep in mind that your skin will attract dirt daily. Your skin has its own routine, by shedding every day, although we cannot see this take place. It is up to us to do our part.
Putting it all Together
Now we know what we have to do, let's do it. Let's put a routine together for our skin that works for us as individuals. The best ingredient we ever will have to use is water. Since our bodies are made up of 60% water, we should only consider that water would be a great benefit to our skincare routine. There is no one product that would be suggested because of the several skin types. However, a suggested routine consists of:
- Always rinse first (may help get rid of excess dirt and oil)
- Use warm water (a temp you can stand) best to use when you do your initial rinse (to open pores)
- Wash with soap, or a foam or a gel cleanser that contains ingredients that do not irritate your skin for cleaning
- Repeat your rinse, and then use cold water (to assist with closing pores)
It is important to take care of your skin as it needs your help to be clean, healthy, and give you the best look you've got! Depending on your skin type, there are lotions and other leave-on products that will help maintain your skin's health and beauty. Don't over-complicate it, but be mindful when choosing the products you plan to use on your own body. Your face, your arms and legs, and the rest of your body deserve the best care available. When your skin feels good, you will feel even better.