Acne is annoying enough. But when we finally do rid ourselves of those dreaded skin flares, it's the scars that come after that seems to make the matter worse. Laser treatments and prescription creams are proven to be the most effective, yeah, but those coins add up, sis. From unwanted hyper-pigmentation marks to unflattering red spots, these at-home remedies, inspired by Byrdie, can help improve your acne scars and (potentially) save you a trip to the dermatologist.
1. Lemon Juice & Honey
Photo: Organic Facts
According to Facing Acne, lemon juice contains citric acid (aka alpha-hydroxy acid) to help lighten the hyperpigmentation left behind from acne. And honey is great for keeping your skin hydrated and will treat any inflammation that exists.
– Cotton Balls
– 2 Fresh Lemons
– 1 tsp. Raw Honey
1. Dip a cotton ball in freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply to your acne scars
2. Rub a thin layer of raw honey over your scars
3. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water
4. Use this routine 3 times a week, for 3 to 4 weeks to see the best results
2. Chickpea & Yogurt
To help detoxify excess oil and maintain your skin's pH levels, Healthy Holistic Living reports that chickpea flour is the ideal ingredient for a natural DIY exfoliation mask. By combining yogurt, you'll simultaneously hydrate your skin to battle against irritation and dullness.
– 1 tsp. Chickpea Flour
– 1 tsp. Plain Yogurt
– 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
– 1tsp. Raw Honey
– 2 Fresh Lemons
1. Mix chickpea flour, turmeric, and raw honey in a small bowl
2. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice until you form a mousse-like texture
3. Combine yogurt for an extra cooling treatment
3. Apply mask to your acne scars
4. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse with warm water
5. Use 3 times a week, for 3 to 4 weeks for the best results
3. Green Tea & Asprin
Photo: Very Well Health
A surprising acne fighter that many of us have at home are green tea and aspirin. According to Very Well Health, green tea is a powerful antioxidant enriched with polyphenols to reduce inflammation. And good ol' aspirin, a naturally occurring salicylic acid, can dry up breakouts and also reduce swelling.
– 2 Aspirin Tablets
– 1 tbsp Green Tea
1. Crush two aspirin in one tablespoon of cooled green tea, forming a paste-like texture
2. Apply the green tea salicylic paste onto your acne scars as a spot treatment.
3. Leave on for 3 to 5 minutes
4. Rinse with warm water
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.