Have you ever seen an episode of Hoarders? That show is an excellent example of precisely what we don’t want our own space to look like, ladies.
I like to keep my apartment as tidy and clutter-free as I can these days, mainly for my sanity.
When I was younger, I was naturally a messy person. As I have grown older and wiser, I have put a more significant emphasis on maintaining a clutter-free home.
Here are my top tips:
1. Plan regular cleaning days to get rid of anything that is either worn, broken or can be donated to someone who could benefit more from them
Clothes, furniture, appliances, you name it — Keep a “donate” box in plain sight for when you find items you no longer need. Then, donate them to a local shelter or Goodwill.
2. Implement new habits that promote clutter-free living
(i.e., teach yourself to be more organized, remove any patterns that have a negative impact like emotional hoarding or recreational shopping)
3. Don’t purchase something if you already own something similar — you don’t need two blankets, two makeup pallets or lipsticks with same colors. Use up what you have first
4. Learn to say no. It’s not a bad word. Tell yourself no you do not need that new pair of shoes or set of dishes
5. Out with the old, in with the new. Every time you bring a new item into your home, make sure to get rid of something you no longer use
6. Have a dedicated place for essential items, keeping you more organized and ready when it comes to cleaning
7. Clean as you go, rather than putting off chores until they all pile up. It will cause less headache and stress
8. Subscribe to paperless billing, so you don’t have an endless clutter of documents lying around
Unsubscribe from any emails, magazines, newspapers or letters you no longer need
9. Create a spending ban for a certain period — no purchases except for groceries, bills and other necessities
Always live within your means. Create a budget and stick to it.
10. Schedule a day to clean out your fridge and cupboards regularly
What are your tips for keeping your space clutter-free?
Ready. Set. Boss. Our daily email is pouring out inspiration with the latest #BlackGirlBossUp moments, tips on hair, beauty and lifestyle to get you on track to a better you! Sign up today.